Friday, December 21, 2007

Early Cedar Waxwings




From the Texas Bird List December 21, 2007...

This morning in Leander, while taking out the trash at sunrise, I heard, then saw, two cedar waxwings doing a vocal do-si-do in an apparent attempt to locate each other.

I suppose that it is not especially early for cedar waxwings to appear in Texas, but, here in Leander, I have never before encountered them any earlier than February. When they do show up, it is for the duration - often until May when it seems far too late for them to get back on their breeding territory in time to raise a brood.

No American goldfinches at the feeders yet, which, when it happens, will be the high point of my Leander winter migration.

The hummingbird feeders are empty, indicating that I have had visiting hummers. But with all of the travel I have been doing I have only been able to do occasional observations. So far I have only seen a few black-chinned. I don't know if there has been anything more exotic than that. Past winters have provided several rufous, one broad-tailed, and one unidentified selasphorus.

--Rusty A.


No comments: